(Sports Correspondent: Imran Sohail)
Former Premier League Club Faces Expulsion From Championship Playoffs Over Spying Allegations
English club Southampton F.C. has been removed from the Championship playoffs after admitting to multiple breaches of league regulations involving the spying of rival teams, according to the English Football League (EFL).
The governing body said Southampton were initially punished after being found guilty of filming Middlesbrough during a training session ahead of a playoff semi-final match on May 7.
Additional disciplinary action
An independent commission later imposed a four-point deduction on Southampton for the next Championship season and confirmed further sanctions after additional breaches came to light.
The club admitted to repeated violations of EFL rules, which prohibit observing or recording opposition training sessions within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
Affected clubs and matches
The EFL said the breaches involved multiple fixtures, including matches against Oxford United, Ipswich Town, and Middlesbrough during the 2025–26 season.
As a result of the ruling, Middlesbrough—who had previously lost to Southampton in the playoff semi-final—have been reinstated and will now face Hull City for a place in the Premier League.
Appeal process underway
The EFL has confirmed it is in discussions with all affected clubs regarding the consequences of the decision. Southampton also has the right to appeal the ruling, which could delay the final playoff outcome.
The case has raised serious concerns about regulatory compliance and fair play standards within English football.

